The 2016 Black Diamond Express
5K & Half Marathon Trail Races
Sunday, August 28, 2016
Half Marathon starts: 8:00 AM • 5K starts: 8:20 AM
2016 Race Results are in! It was a wonderful race on a wonderful day! Here are some photos, too! Be sure to keep an eye out for your finisher's videos in the next couple of days from RunSignUp!
Silver sponsors include Honeoye Falls Marketplace/Mendon Meadows Marketplace and Mendon-Honeoye Falls-Lima Sentinel.
Additional sponsors include Ron Ferris and Son Roofing and Mendon Village Animal Hospital.
The start of the 2015 Black Diamond Express Half Marathon.
NEW For 2016 (our 5th year!), the 5K is back, as well as the half marathon! And this year's event is a YellowJacket Racing Partner Event, featuring some special features, including enhanced logistics and a video finish!
The Lehigh Valley Trail is the former home to one of the most celebrated American railroads of all time: The Lehigh Valley — home of the famous Black Diamond Express passenger train, which ran from New York to Buffalo.
While the land that comprises the Lehigh Valley Trail is owned by Monroe County Parks, this rails-to-trails project was created by (and is maintained, year-round by) a small but passionate non-profit group called the Mendon Foundation, and we at the Mendon Foundation depend on privately-collected donations and volunteer help to mow, groom and improve it so that you can continue to enjoy it, year-round, for walking, hiking, biking, running, and more.
If you’re a runner, one of the best ways you can support the Trail and the Mendon Foundation is to run the Black Diamond Express Trail Races, on Sunday, August 28, 2016.
Register early for the best prices - online or on paper).
The Black Diamond Express 5K
Due to popular demand, the Black Diamond Express 5K returns for 2016! The 5K starts in the Hamlet of Mendon near the baseball fields south of Route 251, runs 1.55 miles west toward Chamberlain Road, turns around, and ends right where it began!
The Black Diamond Express Half Marathon
The Black Diamond Express Half Marathon once again starts in the Hamlet of Mendon near the baseball fields south of Route 251, runs 6.55 miles west toward Rush, turns around, and ends right where it began! The Black Diamond Express is the first half marathon event in the southeast portion of the county – and a flat and exceptionally beautiful one at that!
Each Half Marathon finisher gets one of our "human locomotive" finisher’s medals:
Testimonials for the 2015 Black Diamond Express Half Marathon
- "A great race for all ages on one of the best local trails in upstate New York."
- "You couldn't ask for a better trail half marathon."
- "Great race on a flat and well maintained trail - seize the opportunity to unleash your inner locomotive!"
- "I had never heard of this trail but would absolutely do it again"
- "This was my first ever half marathon and so I loved that it was flat and shady and the staff were so friendly! Great location!"
- "A beautiful run along the Lehigh Valley Trail for a challenging but fast half marathon. Will be sure to do it again!"
- "Great trail, great scenery, great volunteers! Will definitely run again!"
- "Beautiful course and well-supported. This was a fun race! I'll be back next year."
- "A well-organized race on a smooth, easy and attractive trail. Highly recommended."
- "It was great to run a race where you pass by every single person at some point. Most of us cheered each other on which brought a positive spirit to the day."
- "The best Rails to Trails race in the area"
- "Fast as the Black Diamond Express!"
- "The Black Diamond Half Marathon is unique with its historical rail road setting, pristine nature surrounds, flat and fast trail run held at a perfect weather time of the year."
2016 Race Results.
2015 Half Marathon Results.
⇒ Bookmark this page, check back often as 2016 develops, and visit us on Facebook, too!